Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The "I's" of Living in the Here and Now


Old age makes for an easier time of living in the here and now.

Except for my many projects, I do not have to work towards any major life goals (except maybe health.)

I am comfortable in my condo, do not need to buy any furniture, have everything in its place, and have a housekeeper to help me keep the place clean.

I live in downtown Evanston near many restaurants, Whole Foods, an 18 screen theater, the library, the post office, two transportation lines, ice cream stores, book stores, an immediate care office, and many other shops. What more could I need.

My car is parked in a protected garage, in a reserved space, on the tenth floor where the car has a better view of the lake than I do from my condo.

During cold weather, I just turn up my heat and do not have to worry about shoveling the sidewalk or cleaning the snow off my car.

During hot weather, I just turn up my air conditioning and sit out on the balcony with an ice tea and a good book.

I do not need to worry about my career path, work deadlines, pleasing my boss, or work towards future retirement.

I do not have to prove myself to anyone (except maybe Gigi and Emma :-)

I am OK financially and it seems like I will be for the rest of my life.

I have never “lived in the past,” am not fixated on any particular time and place in the past, and while I miss Gregory, even here I think I have done a fairly good job of moving on.

I think I do not need to retell my stories over and over, relive them, or get fixated with them (except documenting them currently in my publications.)

I know that I will never get there as to my future self, one never does, but after 75+ years, I am closer to my future self than I am needing to find or work on achieving that place on earth. 

Did I miss anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.