Friday, July 16, 2010

Dreaming About Tea

There is a little tea shop in our neighborhood called "Dream About Tea." It is owned by a Chinese family, is not part of a chain, and is unique in design. In the window, on a low table with a colorful table cloth is a large fish bowl filled with broken cups, saucers, and other tea items. No explanation. One can only assume. On entering the store, however, there were several signs carefully placed that were printed, "If you break it, you buy it. If I break it, I cry." The shop sells all kinds of unusual teas from the world over as well as tea making and drinking accessories. You can also order a cup of tea and a sweet and sit at one of their tables. 


On a recent visit I noticed and purchased an unmarked cellophane bag of what looked like bits and pieces of stuff. Notice the absence of tea jargon. I asked the owner, "What type of tea is in the bag?" He told me, "It is an herbal health tea blended in the shop. I asked: "How many cups does the bag make?" He replied, "It makes one pot." I probably should have asked, "How big of a pot?" but I didn't.


He handed me a printed sign defining the herbal blend: Inner Part of Lotus Seed. Tribute Chrysanthemum. Dried Fruit. The Tuber of Dwarf Lilyturf. The Fruit of Chinese Wolfberry. Haw. Crystal Sugar. The Seed of Boat Fruited Sterculia. Honeysuckle. Hangzhou White Chrysanthemum. Raisin. Another sign lists the benefits: Clear liver heat. Brighten eyes. Relieve and smooth sore throat, tonsillitis, hoarseness, cough. Strengthen Chi. Help beat cold and flu.


Can I tell you how excited I am about trying a cup of this tea? Once I find out how big a pot I need.


TO VISIT THEIR SITE:
Dream About Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.