Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Ida Kanov

We all live and we all die. This I know because I have been told so and also because I have experienced it! The Yahrzeit (memorial) Candle is lit in the kitchen. Noreen just called to let me know that her mother, Ida, passed away  on Sunday at the age of 96 and three quarters.

The three quarters is something we see in young children. "I am seven and a half!" or "I am six and three quarters." The extra time lived seems so important to them, as it should!

Then we get old and it happens again. Every minute not only flies but becomes more important. So Ida would tell people she was 96 and three quarters. Ida lived approximately 5 years longer than my mom who died at 91 and 10 years longer than my dad who died at 88.

Ida, at her age, became forgetful and lived in what was the best of her own world. Approximately four weeks ago she moved to Lieberman Center (where Gregory is now living on the memory care unit on the fifth floor.)

We would visit in Lieberman's community room during the Sunday's entertainment and talk about my being Adeline and Louie's boy. This would help her place who I was. She would ask and I would let her know they were fine! She would ask and I would let her know that I would indeed give them her love.

"You know your mom and dad, and Nate and I would go out on dates together. I haven't seen them in a while. I think last time I talked with your mom, she wasn't feeling well. I hope she is OK now." Yes, my mom IS OK NOW! (RIP 3/27/2010)

Ida for as long as I can remember has always been upbeat and positive and optimistic about life. She always had a good word to say about her family and friends even if, like all family and friends, she may not have had positive feelings at that moment.

"I like this new hotel even if the food isn't always the best. But then again who could cook like my mother could?" she told me on one Sunday a few weeks ago.

Gregory and I have always had a habit of "collecting" older, grandma type women in our lives. We would always remember their birthdays with a phone call and on Valentine's Day send a dozen red roses. Ida was always pleased to receive the flowers and always sent her thanks. Every now and then we would chat on the telephone and bring each other up to date on family matters.

Now our collection of old folks has gone on to their next journey in life. We miss them all and hope that we can model our lives after the best of what they always offered us. Ida was the last of the old family and family friends so I do feel extra sad.

Now Gregory and I are part of this collection of older, grandparent type of people! Ida Kanov, RIP. You are loved!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.