Sunday, June 14, 2015

Don't Tell Me Not To!

This post was suggested by a conversation I had with my niece, on Gregory's side, who I dearly love and who I know has my best interests at heart.

I mentioned that I needed to get out the ladder so I could climb up and re-aim the HVAC vents for the air conditioning during summer.

She replied, "You shouldn't be climbing ladders when you are 70 years old!"

I joked and said, "If I fall, I can always crawl over to one of the I have fallen and can't get up buttons.

She and my nephew said that if the blogs stopped coming, they would know I needed help and would call the paramedics.

I got to thinking about the conversation. I wasn't upset or insulted then and am still not upset or insulted now, but I did want to share some feelings on the implications of not being allowed to climb ladders anymore because I am 70 years old.

First of all, it is not like I am climbing outside to the top of the house to clean the leaves out of the gutters like I used to. At a certain point I stopped doing that and wouldn't allow Gregory to do it either, hiring a company to do it for us.

Hopefully I am aware enough of myself, and intelligent enough to monitor and curtail my behaviors that no longer are possible or are dangerous for an older person. If I was not aware, I guess it would be good to have someone out there watching out for my well being.

But being told I cannot do something, when I know that I still can, and that I am more careful doing it because I am older ... is upsetting.

The bottom line, and it is probably harsh, is that I would rather fall off the ladder and injure myself or die than to stop doing the things that I enjoy and that are important to me. What good is treating myself like a fragile, frail old man when if effect I am not!

I really think that I have given up some stuff already because either it is too difficult or I just cannot do that anymore. For example I hired a firm to clean the carpets, I hired a painter when I decided to redecorate, I ask someone to help when moving something is too heavy.

But arbitrarily to not climb a ladder to re-aim the HVAC vents because I am 70? No, I would rather die!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.