Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day to the Unmotherd, Unfathered, Unhusbanded. Unwifed.

When Mother's Day and Father's Day comes along I find I resent the advertisements touting the celebration of mothers and fathers. Buy them a gift. Don't forget to call. Pay them a visit. Tell them how much you love them. I can only answer with my grief and tears (which have continued for eleven years for my dad and six years for my mother and which I expect will continue, although possibly softer, for the rest of my life. 

On Sweetest Day and Valentine's Day, I find I resent the advertisements touting the celebration of husbands and wives and lovers. Buy them a gift. Don't forget to call. Pay them a visit. Tell them how much you love them. I can only answer with my grief and tears (which have continued for nine months now for dearest Gregory, life mate of 41 years, and which I expect will continue, although possibly softer, for the rest of my life. 

Well written essay for those whose Mother's are no longer with us.
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-unmothered?mbid=social_facebook

5 comments:

  1. Yesterday while friends were posting photos of their children and grandchildren and whomever, I did not bother to take a pic of my son. Instead I 'shared' a new quilt by Danny Amazonas of a gorilla and her offspring fashioned of tiny pieces of fabric, the child picking at Mom's scalp.

    I wrote simply, Enjoying Mother's Day with my Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to stand at the register at the grocery and fumble in her purse. I do that now. I've become my mother. I open my mouth and her words fall out. Dead for 33 years, she's still with me.

    Just before Mother's Day, my friend of 50 years< Katherine, came to visit. Among the delightful things she brought was an Episcia plant, Mama's favorite houseplant, related to the African Violet. It bloomed by Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jean. I think if we are honest, we are all our moms and dads. Hopefully at a little bit of a higher level!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.