Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Funny Thought

We have been in our condo for over eight years now. Repainted a little over one year ago. Replaced the refrigerator. Rearranged the furniture. These changes have brought new life to my living space as Gregory left and made more space available for me.

Created a reading corner in the bedroom with the addition of a tall bookcase (matching the existing cases and end tables, a beautiful modern black leather chair, and a new floor lamp.


Then transformed Gregory's desk (living room library table) into my desk. I have been enjoying waking each morning, leaving the bedroom (where my desk used to be) and working at my computer, cup of coffee in hand, in a large open space. The large windows  and balcony door let me look out at the clouds, grass, and trees on the third floor roof garden below.



Had our two club chairs refurbished;  leather cleaned, conditioned, and redied to original 1950's color. Also added two new tubular floor lamps.




The final reclaiming (for now) of the condo is replacing the carpeting (eight years old, cleaned five or six times, and ready for replacing) with hardwood floors in the den/TV room/guest room and master bedroom.






It took a while to find a hardwood floor that matched the existing one, but with Randy's help (friend and owner of Restoration Creative) we succeeded. The wood arrives next week and has to "breath in its environment" for a while. The next week will see the carpet taken out and the floors installed.

Meanwhile, I have been preparing to empty all the book cases in the bedroom.



In the closet there is a large Techline closet wall which will remain, so I have been organizing it to within an inch of itself to keep some of the "Objet d'art," (French fancy for art objects:-) safely out of the bedroom.

Closet Left

Closet Right


This area is to the back of the closet and around the corner.


This finally brings me, as it so often does when I write, to the reason for the title of this post. 

As I have been making space in the closet wall, I reserved an area where I could put Grandma Carrie's sewing box, in which Gregory's remains rest on the bookcase shelf where I have created my Gregory Shrine.



In the shrine are included his photograph, some of his favorite objects, a Buddhist Bowl Bell (which I sound when I want to sit and have a chat with Gregory,) a vase with a fresh flower, and a small plate of dark chocolate (which I eventually eat:-) These things will go into a plastic box during floor renovation and be placed on a shelf in the closet next to Gregory.

The ironic issue here, is that through no fault of his own, Gregory is going "back into the closet" for a while! When I realized that I got the giggles!

Also, you may know the story of how I have somehow lost the key to Grandma Carrie's sewing box and while searching over and over again, cannot find it. I have referred to this as, "Gregory is grounded!" Again though no misbehavior on his part. Even though the box is locked, I am sure Gregory can come and go at will:-)

So if you drop by the condo in the next week or two and you are wondering where Gregory is, as I often do, HE IS GROUNDED AND HAS GONE BACK INTO THE CLOSET! Isn't that a funny thought?





4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Actually I AM NOT ORGANIZED! What you see is what I must do to cover for and live with a random, chaotic mind! Also with Gregory's not being here I am catching up on 12 years or cleaning :-)

      Delete
  2. You are a funny kid, Michael! love, Pat

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.