Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Mom and Dad Memories

I don't feel good mommy. Please make me some tea and toast and when I have finished that will you tuck me into bed? As you always do, put the palm of your hand on my forehead to see if I have a fever and say, "Cool as a cucumber."

Tell me that I do not have to go to school tomorrow and since I feel so "poopy" that I do not have to do my homework tonight. Later make me a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup which you know are my favorite comfort foods. Kiss me and tell me you love me.

Dad, I am sorry to say, I do not know where you are through all of this. I know you worked hard yesterday climbing ladders and taking risks as you worked with electricity in run down buildings that smelled of rat shit. I know that you tried to teach me to wire a broken lamp but I lost interest and that upset you.

I see you sleeping on the couch after dinner, listen to you and mom bicker through dinner, watch you shave before you go to bed, but I don't remember kissing you good night, or you me. I see you getting up early, worried about what the day's work would bring, and taking a last minute thirty minute nap, again on the sofa, before leaving for the "shop" to get your supplies loaded into the company truck.

Mom, when you were at hospice dying, I called and I asked you if there was anything we needed to talk about. You said, "Nothing except that I love you!"

Dad when you were at the hospital dying, I called and told you "I love you." You said, "OK," and hung up.

What makes a mother a mother? What makes a father a father? For that matter, what makes a person a person? I grieve that I never really got to know who either of you were behind the "Parent Mask." I grieve that I could not hold you in my arms during those final moments and kiss your face. I grieve that I am soon to be celebrating my 70th birthday and then soon, I too will be gone.


1 comment:

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.