Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gregory Was There

On my trip to visit Gregory's family in Battle Creek, Michigan;


I saw Gregory in the ruins of the old McDonalds we used to stop at before reaching the Skyway.

I saw him in the gently loved antiques filling aisle after aisle of the mall in Michigan City, Indiana.

I saw Gregory in the three rusty manufacturing storage towers we called "The 3 Sisters" along '94.

I saw him at "Chocolate Garden" some miles later where you could have a candy tasting for $2.95.

I saw Gregory in the open fields with bits and pieces of mowed corn stalks lying down in the mud.


I heard him on the car's radio as it played Christmas music, non stop since Thanksgiving Day.

I heard Gregory as the wheels of the car bumpily bumped over the uneven highway road.

I heard him in the hum of the heater, warming my arms and legs as the temperature outside dropped.

I heard Gregory in a warning to watch out for that driver ahead who was weaving from lane to lane.

I heard him in my memory as we pointed out this and that along the route we took so often.


I felt Gregory in the arrival as I pulled into the driveway of Mark and Colleen's home in Augusta.

I felt him in the welcoming hug which Colleen so freely gave as she helped with my suitcase.

I felt Gregory is the greeting of the cats, who came out of hiding to check me out, and then hid again.

I felt him on the pillow next to mine on the comfortable bed in the room called "Greg and Michael's."

I felt Gregory in my before sleep read, in my nighttime dreams, on each awakening and trip to pee.


I lived him in his niece Renee and her daughter Lily as they opened their early Christmas Gifts.

I lived Gregory as I helped his infirm brother Mark in from the car and up the stairs, Diane following.

I lived the embrace he and Mark had one last time ago, neither one having, nor needing any language.

I lived Gregory at the table filled the his family and filled with his absence.

I lived him and loved him and missed him and the many times we had made this trip together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.