Thursday, March 19, 2020

Walking With Adell

STORIES FOR THE TIMES:

At the opposite end of the hall from me lives Adell, a 96-year-old neighbor. She has live-in help from Beth, a Filipina woman who is also a good cook.

Adell used to exercise in the hallway, with her walker, assisted by Beth. When we would cross paths I would slow down and gently stroll the hall with the two of them discussing issues of the day. After a short time, I realized that we had not visited in a while so I walked down and knocked on her door.

Sure enough, while still doing well, Adell (and Beth) had decided that walking the halls was becoming more and more difficult especially with the walker (tennis balls attached) and the hallway carpeting.

Since then, I try to drop by to say hello to them every several weeks. I always bring an arm full of flowers from Trader Joe's. At first, Adell asks why I was bringing flowers and I say, "I always bring flowers to my girlfriends!" She giggles.

We visit for five or ten minutes and then I excuse myself saying, "I need to get back to my apartment to put away the groceries." I plant a kiss (with permission) on Adell's cheek and take my leave.

With this friendship (Adell, Beth, and me) comes a pleasant surprise. A knock on my door every now and then reveals Beth at my door with a bowl of Filipino recipe thin noodles, Pancit: shredded chicken, scallions, mushrooms, and mixed vegetables stir fry. Always welcome to not have to cook for myself!

Recently along with the noodles come a pile of mini deep-fried spring pork rolls.

I am grateful for the people around me (and hopefully they for me!)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.