Sunday, November 15, 2020

Indica After Thirty Five Years




Now that recreational Marijuana ("Mary Jane" from my day) is legal, I decided to give it a try again. The last time I partook in cannabis was 55 years ago when I was in my twenties! Maybe 25 years ago, I took a hit from a friend offered joint. The difference in strength was such that one toke sent me high for a lovely dinner with that friend at a Mexican Restaurant.

It was stranger than strange to attend the grand opening of a Cannabis dispensary in Skokie, Illinois, across from the Old Orchard Shopping Center. Given the neighborhood, I expected to see lots of older folks like me, Jewish ladies pushing their walkers, and men with skull caps (yarmulkes.) Turns out the people in line were just your average run of the mill potheads, all ages, all makes, all shapes and forms. 

The dispensary is huge, located in a beautifully remodeled bank. There are glass top display cabinets strewn across the lobby with samples of the items for sale. On the first floor there are six cashiers and on the second floor a repeat of the first floor. 

Being COVID19, all people were masked and kept their distance. I purchased a small box of Blue Berry flavored Indica Jellys. Ten per box, 10mg of power each jelly. They sat on the shelf in my bedroom for several weeks as I worked at building up my courage to experiment, and last night was the night!

I had a nice dinner, watched a little TV, clean up the kitchen, and got ready for bed around 8:30. I figured that the worst that would happen if I had a "bad trip" is that I would sleep it off. I had talked with my niece and nephew who "know the ropes" and they advised me well. They also said I could call them if I had a difficult time.

I took 1/2 of one jelly for 5mg. The advice is always to start small. I got into bed and listened to a chapter of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I had read it in high school but when it showed up on my "Alexa" I thought I would try it again. Actually, this is the first time I listened to an audible book and enjoyed it. I had tried it a few times before and was never able to just sit there and listen. While driving in the car, where is the place a lot of people like to listen to books, I prefer music. Turns out a chapter, in the dark, while tucked in under the covers, is an ideal place for book listening.

By the time the chapter had been read, I was beginning to feel the effects of the Indica. I rolled over on my side and was ready for a high and for a good night's sleep. It is reported that Indica is good for that.

My high felt like the last moments when you are falling asleep yet still awake enough to have the awareness that you are falling asleep. For me, I usually just disappear from awake to asleep without warning or notice. This time I was aware of my "drifting off." The drifting lasted for two hours!

The feelings centered in my chest and in my face and spread to my entire body. It was a feeling of being very relaxed, not relaxed psychologically or emotionally, but relaxed physically. The environment of the world I live in slowly seemed to disappear although I was aware of it being there, I just didn't need to notice it. My being, and therefore my world, seemed to contain itself from the skin and inward as opposed to out. It was is if my skin is what held myself in and helped the environment to disappear.

The cannabis adventure began at around 9 o’clock. I laid there peacefully, being aware of the experience which was almost like being in a meditative state. I didn't need to do anything or be anything, I just was. I don't think I thought about anything much except the feeling of relaxation itself.

By 11:00 I was yearning for some salt so I got up, went into the kitchen, opened a fresh package of Fritos, ate a handful, and fastened the bag securely to keep it fresh. I Peed. Back in bed, I wondered if the effects of the magic blueberry had worn off. That would make the effect lasting approximately 2 hours with 1/2 hour to come to its full.

I yelled at the cats to stop fighting. I dictated some of this wanting to remember the details of my first adventure with Mary Jane in a long time. And then I slept. I am sure there were some residual effects of the Indica but for the most part, the rest of the evening's sleep was as usual. 

Will be interesting to see how next time feels when I eat a whole jelly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign in to any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. Thanks.

PLEASE leave a comment or some acknowledgment that you have been here. It can be totally anonymous. You do not have to leave your name. You could use your first name only, your initials, or nothing.

Under each new post you will find the word COMMENT. Click on it and a window will open where you can leave your comments.

It asks you to SIGN IN, but you can also click on ANONYMOUS.